Not-another-thing-to-remember: Daughter/Dad Moments

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Daughter/Dad Moments

Last weekend I was writing about moments with my daughter. This weekend I'm writing about moments with my dad! There is a saying that comes to mind a lot when I am with my dad, and I recall even buying him a plaque when I was young that said it too, and that is, "Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad." My dad is very special. He's always putting others before himself, and so when I get the chance to do something special for him I enjoy it.

On Monday my dad had knee replacement surgery. This makes the second time in just a few months that I've had the opportunity to help take care of him (first one being when he had Malaria back a few months ago), and I count it a blessing. It's not every day that I get to do pour blessings of care upon my dad.

On Tuesday it was difficult to watch him be in pain. I knew the pain was so much more greater than he was letting on, and I finally told him he needed to make a little more noise since the nurses weren't the best at taking care of him. In fact, it even scared me to leave him alone. They'd step on his toes, move his leg way too fast, and all the while he'd just bite his bottom lip and grunt a little.

Last night he came home from the hospital and today is doing unbelievably well. We woke up to an absolutely beautiful day and this afternoon took a walk outside and rode his golf cart around a little. We laughed as we saw his neighbors coming down the road because he had made the comment that people would think he was weird if they saw him in his white tights (he has to wear them to guard against blood clots). The men were looking at his leg so I decided I'd just let them in on the news that he had knee replacement surgery on Monday. Of course, then they were in shock that he was out and it was just Saturday. God's healing power is amazing!

My dad worries that he is being a burden. I've not once thought of it that way. I'd say it's a blessing. Blessings come in many different packages, but the ones I love the most are those that involve people! My dad is very special to me and I am so glad I've had this time with him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add Snippets to your site